[lxc-devel] lxc_monitord - monitor exiting

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Mon May 6 20:31:14 UTC 2013

Quoting Dwight Engen (dwight.engen at oracle.com):
> On Mon, 6 May 2013 13:06:43 -0400
> Dwight Engen <dwight.engen at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Çağlar,
> >
> > Thanks for the test program, I can sort of recreate it here with that,
> > although once I lxc-stop them all, lxc-monitord does go away. I put a
> > debug in lxc_wait() to see that the client always close the fd to the
> > monitord and they all were closed so I'm not sure why lxc-monitord
> > isn't seeing the accepted fd coming back from epoll to close. Still
> > investigating...
>
> Okay, so I debugged this and the problem is basically down to lxc not
> being thread aware. With your test program we get multiple threads in
> lxcapi_start() simultaneously in the daemonize case. One of them forks
> while another one has the client fd to the monitor open and thus the fd
> gets duped by the fork and that is the client fd that holds lxc-monitord
> open until the container shuts down.
>
> Çağlar you could try out the following patch, it essentially serializes
> container startup from a thread perspective. I haven't tested it
> thoroughly, but it did fix the problem here. Right now lxc doesn't
> support threaded use, so you may run into other things as well.
> Depending on our stance on thread support in lxc, you may need to do
> the serialization in the threaded app. I guess another
> alternative is that initially we could just thread serialize at the API
> (big lxc lock).

It sounds like lxcapi_start should be locking c->slock?  The priv_lock
is to protect the struct lxccontainer in memory (for when you do
c = lxc_container_new(); then clone a new thread), while the slock is
to protect the container data.  It's being taken at create, info,
destroy, etc, but not at start.