[lxc-devel] How close are we to 0.9.0 alpha3 or better?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Jan 19 23:53:34 UTC 2013

Hey all...

I don't see that we've got a firm roadmap in place of milestones to
cross or blockers to get out of our way but...

I had this concern when we cut 0.8.0, without certain critical systemd
features, that the next cut would take too long.  I understand and
understood that Daniel is very busy, as are we all.  That hasn't
changed.

At this point, lxc is flat out broken on several distributions thanks to
systemd (pivot_root / MS_SHARE incompatibility).  More recently, Fedora
17 updated systemd to a version that breaks lxc where it was working
previously established Fedora 17 hosts.  What was working is now no
longer working.  This is very bad.

Serge and I corresponded over a cleaner answer to the pivot_root problem
and that may be addressed in a future patch down the road.  The current
solution may be a bit on the ugly side but it works.  The clean up for
that and the mount table may wait for another release.

What is left in our way to cut an alpha3 a beta or an rc?  Seriously?
This is an alpha.  Can we throw a stake in the ground can cut another
one?  We just got a report on the -user list where 0.9.0 alpha2 was
failing on an updated Fedora 17, which is exactly what I would expect
having experienced it myself.  As soon as we can throw a tag on it,
someone can throw a bugzilla ticket on it on Fedora (and elsewhere) and
say THEY are broken and HERE is the fix.

What's holding us up at this point?

Regards,
Mike