[lxc-devel] meeting on lxc with user namespaces?

Brent Tubbs brent.tubbs at yougov.com
Wed Jan 16 20:08:18 UTC 2013

Would love to join in and get some recommended best practices on app
containers during that last section.

+1 to using voice if it works for others.  In my daily standup meetings,
it seems to take twice as long when we use IRC instead of voice.  Is there
a logging bot in #lxcontainers?

On 1/16/13 11:50 AM, "Stéphane Graber" <stgraber at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>On 01/16/2013 02:37 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now that the core user namespace support is in both the 3.8 kernel
>> and in the lxc staging branch, I thought it might be good to have
>> a meeting to first make sure everyone understands what it is and
>> what it can do, and second to discuss a path for what we want userns
>> support in lxc to look like.
>>
>> Would everyone (who is interested) be up for a meeting sometime in
>> two weeks?  We could find a phone # if people prefer, but I'm happy
>> to make this a simple irc meeting.  An agenda might look like:
>>
>> 1. Introduction
>>    a. userns kernel support (Serge or Eric) (10 mins)
>>    b. userns lxc demo on ec2 (Serge) (10 mins)
>>    c. expected general userns helpers (Serge) (5 mins)
>>    d. discuss lxc support (rest of the time)
>>       Possible topics:
>>       . simple system containers
>>       . best way to specify mapping at creation
>>       . unprivileged users
>>       . how to convert (chown) the rootfs
>>       . where to store the containers
>>       . naming issues (multiple unprivileged users)
>>       . application containers (without root)
>>
>> I live a pretty (happily) meeting-free life, so I'm pretty flexible,
>> but just to get a date+time out there how about Thursday, Jan 31,
>> at 17:00 UTC (11am US central time)?  That should work well for both
>> east and west coast of the US, and not be too bad for Europe.  I will
>> set up an amazon ec2 instance on which to demo a userns container.
>
>Works for me. Thanks for organizing this!
>
>> -serge
>

>--
>Stéphane Graber
>Ubuntu developer
>http://www.ubuntu.com

>----
>Master Java SE, Java EE, Eclipse, Spring, Hibernate, JavaScript, jQuery
>and much more. Keep your Java skills current with LearnJavaNow -
>200+ hours of step-by-step video tutorials by Java experts.
>SALE $49.99 this month only -- learn more at:
>http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_122612

Brent Tubbs
Senior Director, Websites and Portals
YouGov