[lxc-devel] meeting on lxc with user namespaces?

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed Jan 16 19:37:04 UTC 2013

Hi,

Now that the core user namespace support is in both the 3.8 kernel
and in the lxc staging branch, I thought it might be good to have
a meeting to first make sure everyone understands what it is and
what it can do, and second to discuss a path for what we want userns
support in lxc to look like.

Would everyone (who is interested) be up for a meeting sometime in
two weeks?  We could find a phone # if people prefer, but I'm happy
to make this a simple irc meeting.  An agenda might look like:

1. Introduction
   a. userns kernel support (Serge or Eric) (10 mins)
   b. userns lxc demo on ec2 (Serge) (10 mins)
   c. expected general userns helpers (Serge) (5 mins)
   d. discuss lxc support (rest of the time)
      Possible topics:
      . simple system containers
      . best way to specify mapping at creation
      . unprivileged users
      . how to convert (chown) the rootfs
      . where to store the containers
      . naming issues (multiple unprivileged users)
      . application containers (without root)

I live a pretty (happily) meeting-free life, so I'm pretty flexible,
but just to get a date+time out there how about Thursday, Jan 31,
at 17:00 UTC (11am US central time)?  That should work well for both
east and west coast of the US, and not be too bad for Europe.  I will
set up an amazon ec2 instance on which to demo a userns container.

-serge