[lxc-devel] On the road to rc1

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 18 22:45:37 UTC 2013

Now that alpha3 is out (thanks Daniel!), we should now focus on the
goals for rc1.

As a reminder, the expected time for the rc1 pull request is March.
My current plan is to send the pull request on the 11th.

The plan being to release 0.9 in early April as long as nothing wrong
was spotted in 0.9~rc1.

So that's not a lot of time to get any remaining feature into 0.9.

As a reminder, the current hope is that once 0.9 is out we can focus on
1.0 which I hope we can get released by the end of 2013. By the time we
get to 1.0, we should have most of the tools be coherent, use the API
where possible, have good user namespace support, a stable public API
and reliable upgrades (versioning of the socket protocol/structure).

As much preliminary work as possible should be done as part of 0.9 so
that we can focus a lot more on tool consistency, API, documentation and
stability for 1.0.

Here's a preliminary list of things that have been mentioned lately on
the mailing-list or IRC and that I think are worthwhile goal for rc1:
 - API work
   - get_version(). This should be able to query both the version of LXC
currently used for a container (through the abstract socket) as well as
the current version (as they may be different)
   - console()
   - attach()
   - clone() or at least start thinking of how to re-architecture the
backend scripts to be usable from the API (so we can get feature parity
for create and clone between their API and non-API variants.)
 - Support of different lxc paths. This is done in the C code already
but needs to be made accessible from all the tools. We should also
decide on a default value for user namespaces.
 - Flexible cgroups
   - Support for multiple containers having the same name (different lxc
paths)
   - Support for containers grouping and assigning limits to those groups
 - Initial work on the privileged helpers for user namespaces
 - Moving to a single Debian template (lxc-lenny seems to confuse people
quite a bit).

Note that this list just comes from my personal notes, feel free to
reply with more items ;)

Some of those changes have already been submitted to the mailing-list
(thanks Serge!), others just need implementation and some still need to
be fully discussed.