[lxc-devel] antispam policies [was: rename /etc/lxc/lxc.conf to /etc/lxc/default.conf]

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Feb 5 07:21:20 UTC 2013

05.02.2013 05:10, Stéphane Graber wrote:

>> <dwight.engen at oracle.com>: host aserp1030.oracle.com[141.146.126.68] said: 554
>>       5.3.0 5.7.1 Permanently rejected due to our anti-spam policies. (in reply
>>       to MAIL FROM command)
>>
>> (this is about isrv.corpit.ru[86.62.121.231] - our mail host).
>>
>> Note that rejecting at MAIL FROM stage means, for example,
>> that we can't send email to postmaster to notify them that
>> their anti-spam policies are stupid.
>
> In this case, it does appear that your SMTP host has been blacklisted by
> one of the common lists:
> http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?86.62.121.231

Thank you once again Stéphane.  I know Michelle Sullivan (who runs
sorbs) in person (even since before gender games), I helped her to
build the list, and they use my software to run it, for many years.
It turned out she added my host to the spam db due to mail from a
mailinglist about that piece of software to which she is subscribed,
again for many years. It is listed there since Apr-7, 2011, has been
listed 3 times, and neither of these were spam - it was regular
questions/discussions about that software (it is rbldnsd).

It has been sorted out now, and I unsubscribed her address.

> I've seen a few other people reporting the Oracle SMTP servers being a
> bit more aggressive on spam filtering lately but in this case, it does
> seem to make sense as your mail server was marked as having relayed spam
> lately.

It is about choosing the blocklist to use.  The above shows how accurate
this particular spam list is run.  And oracle leaves no chance to even
contact their postmaster to even ASK about what the hell the problem is.

> I'd suggest getting in touch with the administrator of the SMTP server
> so they ask to be taken off that specific blacklist.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about ;)

I've been in antispam "business" (not money) myself since 1999, we ran
dsbl.org, I helped many other blocklists (monkeys.com, osirusoft.com,
ordb.org, and - oh, sorbs), and know many people involved in person.
But sorbs become.. a bit insane, and using it to filter business contacts
(we tried to renew our contract with oracle a few days ago, which costs
quite some money, which also bounced) is insane as well.  Without any
mentions of the actual reason.

Oh well.

/mjt