[lxc-devel] nested containers

Paul Wexler paul at prometheusresearch.com
Fri Dec 27 23:49:13 UTC 2013

Hello lxc community,

Has anyone used nested containers?

I am trying with limited success.  I cannot re-start them.
I can:
  1. create a container.
  2. configure it for nesting (I uncomment 2 lines in config).
  3. start the container.
  4. stop the container.
  5. but I cannot re-start the container.

However, if I do not configure the container for nesting then
I can stop and re-start the container repeatedly without errors.

Specifically, the following command line sequence fails on the
second lxc-start (please note I do not show the normal lxc-
output below, only the error msg):

  # lxc-create -t ubuntu -n C00
  # X="lxc.aa_profile = lxc-container-default-with-nesting"
  # sed -i -e "s/^#$X/$X/" /var/lib/lxc/C00/config
  # X="lxc.hook.mount = /usr/share/lxc/hooks/mountcgroups"
  # sed -i -e "s/^#$X/$X/" /var/lib/lxc/C00/config
  # lxc-start -d -n C00
  # lxc-stop -n C00
  # lxc-start -d -n C00
  lxc-start: command get_cgroup failed to receive response

When I start the container the first time, lxc-ls --fancy
displays the container's IP address.  Then I can ssh to the
container as 'ubuntu', install packages there such as lxc,
and even create containers there, the container is working
just fine.

But once I stop the container I can never start it again.
Always with the same get_cgroup error as above.

I am using:
  lxc version ==  '1.0.0.alpha2'
  kernel == 3.11.0-12-generic

Any ideas/suggestions on how one might re-start such a container?
Thank you.