[lxc-devel] Maybe gotta problem here...

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 16 20:15:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 03:05:11PM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 14:54 -0500, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 02:30:29PM -0500, Dwight Engen wrote:

> > > Hi Mike, I also almost always just build an rpm and install it. The python
> > > stuff doesn't get built on Oracle Linux 6.5 (so I suspect it will be
> > > the same for RHEL, CentOS, SL etc., but not Fedora) because there is no
> > > python3 available, which is why the legacy lxc-ls gets included there.
> > > I'd think configure would get the newer stuff built on Fedora, but maybe
> > > the .spec isn't packaging it?
>
> > Up until this morning the python3 binding required an explicit
> > --enable-python passed to configure. I only fixed that specific issue
> > last night and have it now to auto-detection instead.
>
> Uh...  So, if I understand this correctly, we're going to have
> functionality shifting depending on the presence of Python3?  That ain't
> good.  That means the same package built on Fedora 19 with Python3
> installed is going to be materially different (command line behavior)
> than if it's built on CentOS6, which, like Oracle, has no Python3?
> Sigh...  Not exactly the answer I wanted to hear.

Right, that's making things consistent with pretty much all of our other
--enable-FEATURE flags which default to yes if the needed libraries are
present.

Lua was already behaving like that, so it made sense to make python3 do
the same.

Note that you can always force the value one way or another using
--enable-python or --disable-python.