[lxc-devel] Use container specific domain socket name

Jäkel, Guido G.Jaekel at dnb.de
Thu Apr 11 07:18:29 UTC 2013

I also think that "LXC should have as less dependencies as possible to ease the support for different plattforms" has more weight than "don't invent things twice".

quoting Daniel Lezcano:
>I think the solution to solve this issue is to use the AF_INET protocol
>on the loopback using the loopback's broadcast address and filter the
>messages with the container name. The code should be 'trivial'.

May this concept be enhanced in the way that the sender and the receiver don't need to settle on the same host (by using an optional user defined the broadcast address -- the hosts net one)? This may offer the possibility to centralize additional monitoring of actual container states on another completely other host. May it be wise to add the name of the host to the messages?

In my personal use case -- a farm with identical LXC hosts and NFS-based filesystems offering to start an container on any of it -- this might offer the possibility to query if an container is already up anywhere. In the moment, i'm using heurisitics like pinging the containers base address or checking some timestamps on the containers rootfs for this.

greetings

Guido