[lxc-devel] using posix shell instead of bash

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Wed Nov 14 07:40:39 UTC 2012

Hi,

I wonder if it there are any interest to make the scripts posix shell
compliant so they can run with for example busybox ash and dash.

I would like to provide proper LCX support for Alpine Linux, which by
default runs from tmpfs. It uses uclibc and busybox as the base system,
which makes it very lightweight. Looking at the scripts, it seems like
it would be fairly easy to adjust the script to not depend on bash at
all, making it possible to make the LCX host even lighter.

Before I start with sending patches, is this something that you would
be interested in, or are you married with bash (like the vserver ppl)?

Would you be prepared for minor sacrifices to use posix compliant shell
scripts?

-nc