[lxc-devel] Please make "-f" mandatory in lxc-create

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon May 28 22:36:01 UTC 2012

On 05/28/2012 06:29 PM, richard -rw- weinberger wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> At least in Ubuntu -f isn't mandatory because calling lxc-create without
>> it will simply default to a system wide configuration in /etc/lxc/lxc.conf.
>
> Is this really useful?
> My openSUSE system does not have /etc/lxc/lxc.conf,
> so lxc-create will create an empty config file in /var/lib/lxc/.
>
> IMHO the current behavior is error prone and not logical.

For distros where lxc creates a bridge by default and ships such a
default configuration file, it's very useful as people on Ubuntu can
simply do:
 - apt-get install lxc
 - lxc-create -t ubuntu -n container
 - lxc-start -n container

And it all works without any modification to any configuration file.

Though it's certainly possible to make lxc-create "properly fail" when
no configuration is passed (locally through -f or system wide).