[lxc-devel] Shutting down containers properly

Guido Jäkel G.Jaekel at DNB.DE
Fri May 25 17:33:26 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-25 16:40, Christian Seiler wrote:
> I'd really prefer shutting down a container just worked out of the box
> without any strange modifications to /etc/inittab for sysvinit. I
> really think shutting down containers properly is a functionality that
> LXC should support out of the box.

Dear Cristian,

it's not a "strange" on, it's well documented in the inittab man page and i was thought to be used in the context of UPS support.

Indeed, from the users point of view it would be nice if would work out of the box. But i think it's the same like with the "power switch" on a real machine. The system will start to boot, if you switch it on. But it will not proper shut down, if you break the power -- because this is an "outerworld event". Therefore, on modern hardware, the "power switch" will be forwarded to the "inner world" and the System decides to shut down and switch-off the power supply at the end.

Therefore, it will be a task of the container itself to shut down and not of lxc. I just may be "improved" by an user-friendly way to pass signals to the container.

Guido