[lxc-devel] poor 10G ethernet performance

Ward, David - 0663 - MITLL david.ward at ll.mit.edu
Fri May 11 16:59:39 UTC 2012

On 11/05/12 10:14, David Kang wrote:
>   My group is measuring network performance of LXC.
> We can get 9 Gig/sec between the host machine and the other machine.
> But, between an LXC instance and the other machine, we only get 3.7 Gig/sec.
> We also measured performance between the LXC instance and its host machine.
> It is 3.5 Gig/sec.
> Is it normal?
> Is there any way to improve the performance?
>
> We use Linuxkernel 2.6.38.
> We used bridge for networking.

In the container, could you create a MACVLAN interface in bridge mode
attached to your 10Gb Ethernet interface, instead of going through a
bridge device?  I would expect that to perform better.

If you do this and you still want your host to still be able to
participate in the network when the container is started (as you did in
your second test), then you will also need to create a MACVLAN interface
in the host ('ip link add type macvlan ...') and assign your host's IP
address to it instead.  This is because you can't directly use your 10Gb
Ethernet interface anymore once or more MACVLAN interfaces are attached
to it.

David