[lxc-devel] Usability: lxc-ls

Stefan Schlesinger sts at ono.at
Thu Jun 28 14:49:29 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm new to LXC and have been using OpenVZ until now.

Something which I immediately missed, when I played around with the LXC
CLI tools the first time, was that neither lxc-ls nor lxc-list provide
a nice overview of the current status of your host.

To give you an example here is how the vzlist output looks like:

      CTID      NPROC STATUS    IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
     17915         11 running   -               git
     17918         81 running   -               rt02
     17925         81 running   -               rt01
     17945        151 running   -               puppet02
     17964         56 running   -               monitor01
     17968         21 running   -               ns01
     17981        193 running   -               mx01
     17988         47 running   -               wiki01

IMHO it perfectly fulfils two puropses: It shows you a list of running
containers with some helpful extra information (needs -a, to list them all) and
its nicely parseable by scripts at the same time...

Regards, Stefan.