[lxc-devel] RFC: How to detect that a Container have competed to boot?

Jäkel, Guido G.Jaekel at dnb.de
Thu Jun 28 12:12:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

i would like to have an discussion about an additional state for a container, let say BOOTED . It should logical succeed the current RUNNING state. Alternatively, there may be created an additional instrument to get information about the following:

The change in state should reflect that the container have finished it's bootstrapping. I would like to see a change to this state, if the init framework have finished and the login prompt at the console.

Until yet, I don't find a vehicle to get this information in a smart way, i.e. without additions in the container. I noticed, that the commandline of the init process will be altered and e.g. reflect the current run level. But "init [3]' for instance will be displayed while *entering* the runlevel but not at finish of all actions for this.

Any ideas on that?

If it's possible to enhance  lxc-info  with this state information, as an alternative for the state naming the current RUNNING may be renamed to BOOTING and the final state will left to RUNNING. Both variants may break existing "consumers" like framework scripts.

Thanks for your suggestions

Guido