[lxc-devel] Does lxc support unionfs ?

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 5 20:13:30 UTC 2012

On 06/05/2012 04:01 PM, Jin Chen wrote:
> Currently, I am trying to implement full container clone (with all
> processes running in container). For performance, copy-on-write
> filesystem will be a good choice. Does lxc container support fs like
> unionfs-fuse? Any reply will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Jin

I don't think we explicitly tried unionfs, but both overlayfs and aufs
work fine. Look at lxc-start-ephemeral in Ubuntu for a tool that already
does that.

Essentially you can do: lxc-start-ephemeral -o <base container>
which will spawn a new clone of "<base container>" with all changes
stored on tmpfs using overlayfs/aufs.