[lxc-devel] set shmmax for container in lxc-execute

J. Xiao jian at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jul 5 10:41:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to add lxc.shmmax as a configuration option for lxc-execute,
so the container would have desired shmmax setting.
I run lxc-execute as a regular user and setuid root. When trying to open
/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax for write in lxc_setup(), I got "permission
denied". I checked that all the capabilities are up in PERMITTED and
EFFECTIVE set. Does anyone know the reason for not being able to write
to /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax? I can work around this problem by setting
the euid to 0 before the open/write, but I would like to understand the
permission issue.

Thanks.

Jian