[lxc-devel] API wishlist

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 11 14:27:03 UTC 2012

On 12/11/2012 07:23 AM, Alexander Vladimirov wrote:
> 2012/12/11 Jäkel, Guido <G.Jaekel at dnb.de <mailto:G.Jaekel at dnb.de>>
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     as i'm using a farm of LXC hosts I want to add a  network wire
>     feature  to the "API wishlist". In fact, this might be some frontend
>     daemon, which offers remote network access to local LXC in
>     conjunction with a proxy client counterpart, which will locally
>     provide the API of an remote host. To be serious, this network
>     interface will need some kind of authentication.
>
>     To allow access to multiple remote hosts, the usage of the LXC-API
>     will need some (optional) address feature. And the userland programs
>     either all need to support an option for this. Or there might be a
>     clever trick to pass it's run to an special proxy program (use
>     'lxc-proxy remote  lxc-foo ...' instead of 'lxc-foo ...') or an
>     environment variable evaluated by the API-lib (use 'lxc_proxy=remote
>     lx-foo ...').

Sounds like you should be able to do all that by just writing a python
daemon using the python3-lxc API and python's builtin xmlrpc server.
That'll give you an easy way to retrieve container objects and call the
various functions from any language (as xmlrpc is pretty standard) and
authentication is as easy as standard http auth.

>     This set of features will allow on to build up an application for
>     centralized LXC cluster status visualization and control.
>
> I guess, is it what was D-Bus designed for?

No, D-Bus is a local RPC/message passing mechanism. It can be used over
the network but doing it safely is a major pain.