[lxc-devel] LXC templates

Matt Sayler msayler at alertlogic.com
Tue Sep 13 19:45:45 UTC 2011

Hello,

(I'm not certain if this question is better-suited for the -devel or -user lists, but I thought I'd start here)

I'm interested in using lxc for some infrastructure projects I'm currently working on.  In a previous life, I used linux-vserver extensively, but for various reasons I would like to try out lxc now.

1) If I'm planning on making Debian-based containers with customizations, would a good approach be to create some simple templates that call the lxc-debian template and *then* run some post-processing scripts?

1a) Are variables in the .conf file accessible in some easy format inside the template script or would I need to parse out the lines myself (e.g. IP address)

2) I'm currently running on squeeze/amd64, which claims to be lxc 0.7.2.  How ideosynchratic is Debian's packaging of lxc (my experiences with linux-vserver make me a bit nervous about this).  Is it useful to upgrade to the current git version of lxc?  Does that answer change if I don't plan on recompiling my kernel?

Any help its appreciated!

Regards,

Matt

--