[lxc-devel] mount ro in guest change host filesystem to ro

Nico parpandet at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:10:01 UTC 2011

Dear Jäkel,

> Dear Nico,
>
> currently LXC is far away from being usable for a "non-userfriendly" usecase like e.g. providing virtual root servers to 3rd parties.

I mean lxc was integrated into 2.6.27 kernel, this is october 2008
!!!, nearly three years from now, into the
stable branch, but is not usable in production in 2011 !!

> But it's already great to partition a modern server hardware into smaller units. Since start of the year I use it to run former separate rack servers as containers on a bladeserver farm. Because all is based on NFS,  I'm able to start any container on any blade and I may balance it free over the available memory and core resources.

There is already some _great_ features when you look at /cgroup
directory (memory, cpu shares etc),
I do not anderstand why so simple (user point of view) problems are
not solved !

> Because this is a big application server farm with no user account, I may tolerate such deficits in container/host isolation. But in the same moment as the root user of a container is not identical to the root user of the host you have to look out for other solutions than LXC.

Yes there is openvz and vserver ...

Regards.

Nicolas