[lxc-devel] Hot-add network devices in LXC

Carlos N. A. Corrêa carlos.nilton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:00:46 UTC 2011

Hi, people.

I'm trying to implement a mechanism to permit the addition of a new network
device to a container "on-the-fly".

That would be useful to me in some complex virtual networking scenarios,
where a container need to connect to a newborn bridge and I can't stand to
lxc-stop/modify config manually/lxc-start.

I'm thinking about:

1. Hacking commands.(h|c) to create a new callback for hot netdev addition
2. Implement the callback through a call to instanciate_(veth|macvlan|etc)
3. Updating lxc_handler->conf->network by adding a new netdev to the list

Could this be accomplished some other way? Do you think that it could be
useful to others?

Best regards,
Carlos "Bill" Nilton
CISSP, RHCE, ITIL Foundations