[lxc-devel] issue with inotify and cgroups

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Thu Jul 28 12:27:01 UTC 2011

On 07/28/2011 12:03 PM, Lou-adrien Fabre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to monitor my container's stats from my host, using the
> cgroup file (especialy cpuacct.usage_percpu), but the problem is that the
> refresh rate of the cgroup file seems to be quit unstable. So i need to
> watch for file modification and make my calculation then. I was thinking
> about using inotify to watch files, but it seems that I'm not getting
> notifed for any event while the file's content is actualy modified by lxc.

lxc does not modify the cgroup files and I think inotify is not
supported by the cgroup.
The cgroup should be monitored by the event feature:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/cgroups/cgroup_event_listener.c;h=3e082f96dc125333a2b32076710a23b78bc17c5f;hb=95b6886526bb510b8370b625a49bc0ab3b8ff10f

I never used this feature, so I can not help more but I would be
interested by any feedback if you are willing to try it and report your
results :)

Thanks
  -- Daniel