[lxc-devel] lxc-stop related bug in 2.6.37?

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Thu Jan 13 22:42:36 UTC 2011

On 01/13/2011 08:30 PM, Andreas Philipp wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After upgrading a machine to kernel version 2.6.35.8 to 2.6.37 my system
> froze each time when I issued a lxc-stop command. Unfortunately, I was
> not able to get any more information out of my box due to it freezing
> totally (no logs written to disk, nothing). Does anyone have experience
> with this (or a similar) issue?

I just compiled a 2.6.37 and tested with a simple 'sleep' inside a
container and then stopped but the hang did not occur.
I also tried with an ubuntu container and busybox without problem.

I tried on kvm x86_64

> Is it important to recompile the lxc
> user space utilities after a kernel upgrade?

At the first glance, I think it is not necessary. The lxc code does not
rely on kernel code, so there is no dependency except the one provided
by the linux header installed on the system. In any case, userspace code
should not hang a system.