[lxc-devel] How does the console work in most recent release?

Rob Landley rlandley at parallels.com
Tue Jan 4 08:36:52 UTC 2011

I'm attempting to write a simple HOWTO for setting up a container with
LXC.  Unfortunately, console handling is really really brittle and the
only way I've gotten it to work is kind of unpleasant to document.

Using lxc 0.7.3 (both in debian sid and built from source myself), I can
lxc-create a container, and when I run lxc-start it launches init in the
container.  But the console is screwy.

If my init program is just a command shell, the first key I type will
crash lxc-start with an I/O error.  (Wrapping said shell with a script
to redirect stdin/stdout/stderr to various /dev character devices
doesn't seem to improve matters.)

Using the busybox template and the busybox-i686 binary off of
busybox.net, it runs init and connects to the various tty devices, and
this somehow prevents lxc-start from crashing.  But if I "press enter to
active this console" like it says, the resulting shell prompt is
completely unusable.  If I'm running from an actual TTY device, then
some of the keys I type go to the container and some don't.  If my
console is connected to a PTY when I run lxc-start (such as if I ssh in
and run lxc-start from the ssh session), _none_ of the characters I type
go to the shell prompt.

To get a usable shell prompt in the container, what I have to do is
lxc-start in one window, ssh into the server to get a fresh terminal,
and then run lxc-console in that second terminal.  That's the only magic
sequence I've found so far that works.

The attached html file is a long drawn-out reproduction sequence for this.

I tried downloading lxc-git to see if this is already fixed, but running
"autoconf" doesn't seem to want to produce a ./configure file for me.
("configure.ac:8: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER")
I'm really not an autoconf expert (the whole thing is just a horrible
idea at the design level), so have no idea what I'm doing wrong there.

Rob