[lxc-devel] Putting man pages on website?

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Tue Feb 15 00:24:12 UTC 2011

Sorry about the previous post.  I'm awake now.

If I remove the .in from common_options.sgml.in and see_also.sgml.in,
and change lxc-console.sgml.in's prelude to

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"
            href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl"?>
    <!DOCTYPE refentry PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN"
            "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd" [

    <!ENTITY commonoptions SYSTEM "common_options.sgml">
    <!ENTITY seealso SYSTEM "see_also.sgml">
    ]>

Then I can generate a manpage:

    $ xsltproc lxc-console.sgml.in
    Note: meta source : no *info/productname or alternative            lxc-console
    Note: meta source : see http://docbook.sf.net/el/productname       lxc-console
    Note: meta source : no refentry/refmeta/refmiscinfo at class=source   lxc-console
    Note: meta source : see http://docbook.sf.net/el/refmiscinfo       lxc-console
    Note: meta version: no *info/productnumber or alternative          lxc-console
    Note: meta version: see http://docbook.sf.net/el/productnumber     lxc-console
    Note: meta version: no refentry/refmeta/refmiscinfo at class=version  lxc-console
    Note: meta version: see http://docbook.sf.net/el/refmiscinfo       lxc-console
    Warn: meta source : no fallback for source, so inserted a fixme    lxc-console
    Note: meta manual : no titled ancestor of refentry                 lxc-console
    Note: meta manual : no refentry/refmeta/refmiscinfo at class=manual   lxc-console
    Note: meta manual : see http://docbook.sf.net/el/refmiscinfo       lxc-console
    Warn: meta manual : no fallback for manual, so inserted a fixme    lxc-console
    Note: Writing lxc-console.1

Note that I had to bump the version number of to at least 4.0, because
older versions are so old that they're not even hosted anymore.  It's
probably advisable to migrate to the latest docbook4 DTD (4.5).

With the same source files, I can generate XHTML 1.1:

    $ xsltproc http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml-1_1/docbook.xsl lxc-console.sgml.in >lxc-console.xhtml

It might be possible to declare both stylesheets at once in the file
itself, but I can't work out how.

To get this to work, I installed xsltproc and docbook-xsl on a lucid
system.  I *think* the latter isn't strictly necessary; it just allows
xsltproc to translate the above URL to a local XSL stylesheet instead of
downloading it each time.

PS: the extension ought to be .xml, not .sgml, and I recommend you
switch from Emacs' sgml-mode to nxml-mode, which is the default for .xml
files in recent GNU Emacs releases.