[lxc-devel] Status of usability of lxc

Marian Marinov mm at yuhu.biz
Wed Apr 6 13:41:40 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 06 April 2011 16:08:18 Rob Landley wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 05:43 AM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> > On 03/22/2011 10:20 AM, Nathan McSween wrote:
> >> Can I get a quick rundown of what is implemented w.r.t  UID/GID
> >> containerization, is it safe yet to give containerized root to an
> >> everyday user without huge security issues?
> >
> > Nope, it is not secure at all for a root user inside the container.
>
> Any idea what's missing?

A root user can chroot out of the chrooted directory.
There were reports that /proc is not fully virtualized and changing some
values there changes the values on the host machine and for all other
containers.
A root user can create devices and access devices that should not be accessed
by this container. Controling every device with control groups is not so easy.

Marian