[lxc-devel] lxc-simple: porcelain over lxc commands

Nigel McNie nigel at mcnie.name
Sun Apr 3 09:14:39 UTC 2011

Hi List,

I saw there was a call for a nice frontend over the lxc commands, and I
needed one, so Martyn Smith and I have come up with lxc-simple [0].

Quoting the docs:
"lxc-simple wraps around the low-level commands for controlling linux
containers, to
make it easier to manage containers for the common case - which is creating
containers that work in a similar fashion to vservers or jails."

Synopsis:
     lxc [name] create [-u] --template=[lucid|maverick|etc...]
     lxc [name] destroy
     lxc [name] start|stop|restart
     lxc [name] enter
     lxc [name] console
     lxc status

It's very rough, however it's a starting point. We'd very much like feedback
on it. In particular, we'd like to know if it looks like a reasonable
implementation/approach that could be part of lxc upstream? If not, how
could it be adjusted to suit?

Some notes:
- alpha quality; might eat your face; bla bla bla
- The program interface, including order of arguments, is largely inspired
by vserver, as that's what we've used up until recently
- Tested working on maverick & natty; no other platforms tested
- Read the README.md, it has setup instructions you need to follow for now,
although Martyn is working on removing all the networking ones
- Related to the above: we implemented 'enter' (which gives you a shell in a
container) not with lxc-attach, which still appears to be broken, but with
ssh and various networking/ssh config trickery. It does work, but requires
the network setup stuff mentioned in the README for now. Martyn has plans to
do the setup automatically without affecting the host networking, and of
course when lxc-attach works, we can implement 'enter' using that.
- There is some mention in the docs of using puppet to configure the
containers. None of that is implemented, so don't be scared. I'd like more
input on that idea though, if anyone has any thoughts.

All thoughts, ideas and testing welcome!

[0] https://github.com/nigelmcnie/lxc-simple

Nigel McNie
http://nigel.mcnie.name/ | +64 27 469 6038 | http://twitter.com/nigelmcnie |
http://about.me/nigel