[lxc-devel] relative paths in mounts?

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Nov 23 10:25:03 UTC 2010

Hello again.

I asked this question before, but got no (satisfactory)
answer. So here it goes again.

Why not chdir into the root of container right when
the root filesystem is (bind-)mounted, and let all
mount entries to be relative to the container root?

Even more, to warn if lxc.mount[.entry] contains
absolute path for the destination directory (or a
variation of this, absolute and does not start with
container root mount point)?

This way, all mounts will look much more sane, and
it will be much easier to move/clone containers -
by changing only lxc.rootfs.

I can easily cook a patch for that (it's trivial),
but I want to hear any disagreements before ;)

I do it this way locally since the beginning, by
chdir'ing to the proper directory (rootfs) before
running lxc-start (in a startup script), but this
is now broken in 0.7.3 which bind-mounts rootfs
somewhere in /usr/lib/lxc.

Thanks!

/mjt