[lxc-devel] "use defined rootfs mount point" regression?

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Wed May 26 14:56:35 UTC 2010

Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano at free.fr> writes:

> On 05/21/2010 02:20 PM, Nathan Lynch wrote:

>>> Yes, you have to create it. I expect the distro maintainers to update
>>> their package %post_install section to create the directory.
>>
>> Not to bikeshed this further, but /usr/$libdir/lxc is probably not a
>> good default value.  FHS says applications may use only a single
>> subdirectory in /usr/lib, and I think it was pointed out on the earlier
>> thread that Debian and related distros already place lxc components in
>> this directory.
>
> If I refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

:) If you dared to mention the FHS: it does not know such things as
libexec.  So my recommendation is still ditching /usr/libexec in favor
of /usr/lib/lxc/lxc-init and /usr/lib/lxc/rootfs.  To quote the FHS 2.3:

   /usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that
   are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts.

   Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib. If an
   application uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent data
   exclusively used by the application must be placed within that
   subdirectory.

I see that RedHat is somewhat committed to libexec and the concept
indeed makes sense to me.  So you'll probably want to keep it, and other
distros will continue coalescing them via configure options.  So you can
use $libdir/lxc or even $localstatedir/lxc (ie. /var/lib/lxc), since it
isn't a problem if some lxc internal stuff is temporarily shadowed
during container setup.

> /var/tmp/lxc could be a good candidate no ?

I checked some Debian systems around here, /var/tmp is generally empty,
not a single package owns a directory there.  But technically it should
work.  I wouldn't call this mount point itself temporary, though.
--
Cheers,
Feri.