[lxc-devel] devpts instances

Sukadev Bhattiprolu sukadev at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jun 8 00:56:43 UTC 2010

Ferenc Wagner [wferi at niif.hu] wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Reading the kernel documentation of devpts, I got the impression that if
| the host uses the "legacy" devpts mode, root in a container can always
| mount its devpts instance.  Is this really so?  If yes, it might be

Yes...

| worth noting somewhere near the lxc.pts option.  And a kernel option to
| disable legacy devpts mounts...

Not a bad idea.

Well, eventually "-o newinstance" is supposed to be the default (implied)
in which case this new option is not needed, but that won't happen anytime
soon.

<snip>

| I don't understand why devpts.txt favors symlinks
| to bind mounts, that would be good to know.

If the configuration is somehow messed up, a symlink appears easier to debug
than bind mounts, so the examples use symlinks. But bind mount is also
an option and the Documentation does have some examples/references with it.

Sukadev