[lxc-devel] [patch 0/3][RFC] init logger

Andrian Nord nightnord at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 07:03:30 UTC 2010

> Well, I guess our goals are quite opposite. I want to make
> the config as simple as possible - no script, no variables, ...
> I will use a simply key/value format like we use it with
> our 'qemu-server' tools.

That's why I'm proposing code split to separate liblxc from ui. There
could be a few ui's sharing same bare-system code. Everyone would
benefit from changes in liblxc (so, nobody would 'reinvent the wheel'),
i.e. from supporhting new system features, while separate ui's could be
targeted on specific tasks - scripting or all-in-self config, only
full-system or only application containers, etc.

About bash-configs - probably then you want to have 'bash-bindings',
i.e. simple programs that would make bare-system things, while anything
else would be handled via scripts. And everyone would write their own
script for whatever he wants to. Otherwise you will probably want to use
something different from shell - lua, for example, could be compiled in
very nice and fast object-code in some implementations, and you may only
check mtimes of config and compiled version - it would speedup things
greatly.

I'm personally prefer to have sophisticated enough utilities, that
_require_ no additional work to use them, but _allow_ to customize
(with, probably, some slowdown - but this is user's problems) via hooks
that could be any type - compiled program, or any type of script (not
only shell, that is much more flexible).

That's why I'm not posting my implementation of forker or
whatever-it-should-be-called - it could be much simpler then.