[lxc-devel] RfC: Script hooks

Michael Holzt lxc at my.fqdn.org
Sun Jan 10 01:23:44 UTC 2010

> One man, it was Mihail Tokarev, if I correctly remembered his name,
> already stated, that whole config system could be replaced or
> concatenated with shell-scripts-callbacks.

After thinking about it, i came to the conclusion that Michael is actually
very right with his criticism of the current behaviour of the lxc tools.

His observation

| (Additional) network setup, namespace preparation, variable
| expansion (mount paths for example), and alot of other things -
| that's many different possibilities.  For now all that stuff
| gets implemented directly in lxc utilities, using poor substitute
| of tools available thanks to shell and other Unix utilities.

is in my opinion spot on.

So before implementing script hooks and/or a lxc wrapper script, we
probably should think about the current approach and if it is really
the right solution for the problem.

I appreciate the work done till so far and i'm not eager to throw
away code, but it appears that the current approach of putting all
the setup steps in c-code into the binaries is a dead end in the long
run and hooks might only be a little improvement preventing a real
solution.

Gruss
Michael

--
It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks