[lxc-devel] Quick questions and feedback about `lxc-start`

Ciprian Dorin, Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 11:26:09 UTC 2010

    Yup, me bothering you guys again! :)

    So from what I've seen, `lxc-create` does nothing more than
copying the rcfile in a place well-known by `lxc-start`. Thus I
assumed that I could just ignore `lxc-create`, and just call
`lxc-start` with the `--rcfile` argument. Is my assumption correct?
(Will the behavior likely change in the future?)

    The same for `lxc-delete`, it seems that it only deletes the
folder for the config and state files.

    And one feature request from me: would it be welcomed (I could
contribute the code if wanted) to allow the `lxc-start` tool to change
the user and group of the new launched process?
    For now I use `sudo`, and not the file capabilities, to run
`lxc-start`, and I would like to be able to run the new process as me
(without requiring a custom launcher inside the container). For
example: `sudo -- lxc-start --name test --rcfile ./name.conf --uid
"$UID" --gid "$GID" -- /bin/bash`

    (Even if I were using the capabilities, when root wants to run
`lxc-start` he maybe would like to drop his UID and GID (for example
starting daemons in a new context).)

    Thanks again,
    Ciprian.