[lxc-devel] LXC manpage typo

pfee at talk21.com pfee at talk21.com
Sun Jan 3 23:35:27 UTC 2010

> > I've tried the lxc-fedora script on a Fedora 12
> system. I've update LXC to that within rawhide, i.e.
> lxc-0.6.4-1.fc13.x86_64.
> >
> > My container appears to need access to more devices,
> I'll try adding more lxc.cgroup.devices.allow statements to
> the container configuration.  An example error is:
> > Starting udev: /bin/mknod: `/dev/loop0': Operation not
> permitted         /bin/chown:
> cannot access `/dev/loop0': No such file or directory
> >
> Hum, the fedora script is not very tested. I have to change
> it to have a template configuration like:
>
> http://lxc.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=lxc/lxc;a=commit;h=fb7460fe60699b637bbb97b404e752284e755519

I've concluded my errors are not a fault with LXC, but are related to the booting of the container's "OS".  Hunting around the Internet, it appears that udev doesn't function well within a container.  Container booting has less to do than normal, but an unmodified installation of Fedora doesn't know that.

I see there's an LXC libvirt driver.  As LXC matures, hopefully virt-manager will include facilities to generate LXC containers.  For that to happen, the OS within the container will have to be container friendly.

Hence, things aren't polished right now, but we're heading in the right direction.  I'm hoping that Fedora 13 will make the necessary changes and that RHEL6 will include them.

> > The lxc.cgroup.<subsystem name> statements have
> a syntax and purpose known only to the kernel.  This
> allows new subsystems to be added in the future, however can
> the existing subsystems be documented in more detail?
> >
> Yes, considering the number of cgroup subsystems is
> increasing, that makes sense to document the cgroups instead
> of letting the user to dig all around the internet to find
> the relevant information.
>
> > For exmaple:
> > lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:3 rw
> >
> > I presume "devices" has two child nodes, "allow" and
> "deny".  Within the value of the "allow" statement, it
> looks like "c" for character device, then major:minor device
> number, followed by read and write.
> >

> Hmm, I understand, it is not easy to setup a cgroup without
> having more information on it.
> You will find more information for this cgroup at http://lwn.net/Articles/273834/

Great, that answered my device cgroup questions.

> > The lxf.conf generated by lxc-fedora has permission
> flags of "rwm", what does "m" indicate?  It would be
> useful if the manpage could be expanded or included
> references to other cgroup documentation.
> >
> Yes, I think it's a good idea. The lwn articles are a good
> source of information to add to the documentation IMO.

Agreed, I struggled as a new LXC user without extra help.

> Thanks
>  -- Daniel

Thanks again,
Paul