[lxc-devel] Installing the man pages?

Rob Landley rlandley at parallels.com
Tue Dec 14 19:07:16 UTC 2010

For some reason, the most recent lxc release really doesn't want to install the pregenerated copies of the man pages in the doc directory.

I did a configure, make, and make install on it (installing the two prerequisite packages it wanted), it installed into /usr/local (fine), but the man pages aren't there.  sudo find / -xdev -name "lxc-kill*" found the installed binary and the man page in the source directory, even after I went into the "doc" subdirectory and did a make install in there.

Is this expected behavior?

It _has_ them, it just won't _install_ them.  "./configure --help" shows an "--enable-doc" option which complains about docbook2man not being installed.  (Why couldn't it just probe for that in ./configure and enable the docs if it finds them?  Why couldn't it just install the pregenerated copies
it ships with?  And why is ./configure claiming to generate sgml files after I install ubuntu 10.04's docbook-utils package?  Surely that's make's job, not configure's?)

Unfortunately, that configure option just gives a build break.  Doing a make after configuring with --enable-doc (and installing the docbook-utils package to make it happy) dies with:

docbook2man -w all lxc-create.sgml
Using catalogs: /etc/sgml/catalog
Using stylesheet: /usr/share/docbook-utils/docbook-utils.dsl#print
Working on: /home/landley/lxc-0.7.3/doc/lxc-create.sgml
nsgmls:/home/landley/lxc-0.7.3/doc/lxc-create.sgml:26:63:W: cannot generate system identifier for public text "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN"
nsgmls:/home/landley/lxc-0.7.3/doc/lxc-create.sgml:30:0:E: reference to entity "REFENTRY" for which no system identifier could be generated
nsgmls:/home/landley/lxc-0.7.3/doc/lxc-create.sgml:26:0: entity was defined here
nsgmls:/home/landley/lxc-0.7.3/doc/lxc-create.sgml:30:0:E: DTD did not contain element declaration for document type name

And so on for several more pages.

Building the package itself was fairly easy.  Getting the man pages to install requires copying them over by hand:

for i in $(cd doc; ls *.[0-9])
do
  NUMBER=$(echo "$i" | sed 's/.*\(.\)$/\1/')
  cp doc/$i /usr/local/man/man$NUMBER/$i
done

Rob