[lxc-devel] lxc-console and Ctrl-a

Adam Majer adamm at galacticasoftware.com
Thu Sep 10 06:02:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:51:01PM +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> Adam Majer wrote:
> >Using lxc-console, how do I pass Ctrl-a keystroke to any application
> >through the lxc-console? Right now lxc-console seems to filter all
> >Ctrl-a combinations.
> >
> >- Adam
>
> Oops, right :)
>
> What would be better ?
>
> Ctrl-a + q : exits the console
> Ctrl-a + <anykey> : sends Ctrl+<anykey>, like the screen command ?
>
> So, in the console, the ctrl-a becomes ctrl-a + a.
> Does it make sense ?

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this!

'screen' already is using Ctrl-A+ combinations. Maybe it would be a
wise idea to use something different. Since lxc-console key
combination is only used to quit for now, I would suggest moving to

  Ctrl-T + q : exit console
  Ctrl-T + Ctrl-T : passes through one Ctrl-T to console
  Ctrl-T + t      : ^^^^ same as above
  Ctrl-T + anykey : filtered and reserved for future use of lxc-console

This is just to avoid,

  Ctrl-A + a + a

to get one Ctrl-A to application just because it is behind screen and
lxc-console. lxc-console key combinations are also used more rarely
than screen's so moving to a different combination should not be
a problem.

- Adam