[lxc-devel] mounts & namespaces

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 18 16:20:22 UTC 2009

Quoting Michael Tokarev (mjt at tls.msk.ru):
> Hello.
>
> I asked similar question on lxc-devel@ but got no reply.  Since
> the issue is in kernel entirely, I'm asking in containers@ now.
>
> As a base, I used lxc utils.
>
> First of all, I'm concerned about file namespace security in a
> container.  It is, basically, just a chroot(2), or at least it
> looks like that to me.  But as we know, root can break out of
> chroot.  Are there any protection methods that prevents this
> break-out?

Not that I know of.  I haven't looked at the relevant source in
lxc/ in awhile, and haven't tested, but you should easily be
able to verify by finding the chroot escape code and running it
from inside a container...

Of course you can use Smack or SELinux (or probably even and
Apparmor profile) to prevent it.

> I see lxc-start performs one additional rbind-mount - whole root
> filesystem of a container to a temporary directory (mktemp), and
> uses that temp dir as root for the container.  I wonder what it
> is trying to achieve this way.  Is it related to the first
> question and prevents breaking out of chroot somehow?
>
> On a similar note, can pivot_root be used there instead of a chroot?
> But see below for this one.

That is what libvirt does, for that very reason.  However, that
can make startup a bit more fragile, due to requirements in
sys_pivot_root that mounts involved not be shared.  It can be
worked around, but it starts to feel kludgy.  In particular,
libvirt-lxc broke briefly because fedora was marking / as
MS_SHARED, while we were expecting / to be private (which is
the usual case).

So for the moment, I personally was quite happy that libvirt
and lxc were were each taking different approaches  :)