[lxc-devel] philosophical usertalk of what upstream should do ;)

Andrian Nord nightnord at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:57:09 UTC 2009

Let's extract this funny discussion into separate thread

> I don't know how vzctl works, never looked that way.  What I do know is once
> you start managing "n" similar things (containers, virtual machines, network
> tunnels (ppp or vtun or openvpn for example) and so on and so forth), you'll
> have a set of scripts that should be keept somewhere.  For example, I've a
> script in /etc/vtun/notify.sh that sends email when certain vtun tunnels
> goes up or down, and that directory contains a bunch of other scripts used
> for various groups of tunnels to configure things and perform statistics and
> logging.

Ah, you are talking about any custom wrapper scripts. Really, no package
should provide a place for files it's not directly depends (imo). It's
up to user, where he will keep his scripts, maybe in home, or, maybe, in
some directory in /etc/.

> Not really, not distro-specific.  In a way that there should be at least
> some _suggested_ way about how to things like autostart supposed to work.

No. There should be possibilities to do whatever disto-mantainer want.
Because different distros using different rc-systems, sometimes
dramatically different. Any 'suggestions' about rc-system would lead
only to overcomplexity of package or restricting one rc-system in flavor
of another. Not really a good way to go, as for me.

If distro mantainer think, that there could be some additional feature
in utilities and this features not breaks any other rc-systems, it could
be discussed and impelemented inside utiliies. Any details about how
rc-system should work, including how autostarting works, is out of
utilities scope, imo.

> So on different distros it's done similarly.  As of autoboot, yes, that
> looks nice too.  And having a list of container names in a separate file
> named 'autostart' or 'containers.boot' is useful too, together with
> individual per-container options.

I'd like to say, that lxc-list (lxc-ls) with possibility of checking
states and echoing various configuration options would be nicer =). And
thread-friendly version of lxc-monitor/lxc-wait whoud be also nice. And
many, many other things ;) Probably it's best to example you thoughts
with some kind of draft patch =)

> By the way, lxc-start should probably create (and lock) a file named
> /var/run/lxc/$name.pid for rc-scripting purposes, or maybe
> ../lxc/$name-init.pid

Such file already was. And then it was removed :P.

Use $(lxc-ps --name $name | grep init) for scripting