[lxc-devel] host consoles/ttys in containers

Andrian Nord nightnord at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 15:22:56 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 03:00:05PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> I noticed that container's consoles aren't quite useable
> (be it lxc-console or lxc-start with getty bound to /dev/console).
>
> The main problem is a complete lack of window resizing support:
> when I resize an xterm window with lxc-start or lxc-console, the
> "guest" does not know about that and continues to think that the
> terminal is 80x25 still.

lxc-console simply proxying what it goes from container's tty.
Container's tty is, of course, in 80x25. I don't think that trying to
run framebuffer inside container is a good idea, most probably it will
fail. Use ssh =)

> Is it just a lack of functionality (missing implementation) or
> something problematic?

This is truth of live =)

> Another problem is that lxc-start does not restore terminal
> settings, at least not always.  In particular, after running
> `lxc-start -n foo /bin/bash' and killing that bash from a
> host system, lxc-start exits but the xterm window where it
> was running is now in "raw" tty mode, and can be fixed by
> running, say, `stty sane' (note that only `kill -9' works).

Yeap, there is such problem, but, at least for me, it still recieves
input, so I could just ctrl+D from it. That's not a big problem - best
idea is to use daemon mode