[lxc-devel] Q: general lxc architecture

Andrian Nord nightnord at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 19:27:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:04:38AM +0100, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> > lxc-execute --define lxc.network.ipv4=192.168.1.2/24 -f <config> -n ...
>
> I am not sure to get the idea. Do you mean, you would like to override
> some options in the configuration file by passing long parameters to the
> command in order to keep a single configuration file ?

Yes. In that case I would have an oppotunity to have single common
config/fstab file, say /etc/lxc/tmp/{config,fstab}, while specifying only
options that are required to be changed - i.e. lxc.utsname,
lxc.network.ip*.

For specifying any exclusive physical storage via fstab (that
can't be listed into common fstab), new lxc.mount.entry option promises
to have great use.

It could be required, for example, if you have low-memory computer, that
you want to use as save educational terminal server, i.e. in school.
You can't use tmpfs for the home/writable folders, but you can provide
isolated chunks of physical storage via mount --binds. But, every time
container is spawned (by some client program, for example), this location
should be unique and specified in command line.

Usage of separate config files is possible for such task, of course, but
if will make unnessessary overhead for disk subsystem. It just much uglier,
imo, to copy and then deleting some files.

Anyway, there are many other things to implement, I think. There was
some thoughts about how far and happy future may looks like =).

> Anyway, I fixed it. Thanks.
Aaa, ok. Thanks for commiting.