[lxc-devel] LXC manpage typo

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Thu Dec 31 15:10:11 UTC 2009

pfee at talk21.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your prompt response to my previous email.  Feel free to redirect me to a mailing list or forum if direct email to you isn't the best support channel or consumes too much of your time.

> I've tried the lxc-fedora script on a Fedora 12 system. I've update LXC to that within rawhide, i.e. lxc-0.6.4-1.fc13.x86_64.
>
> My container appears to need access to more devices, I'll try adding more lxc.cgroup.devices.allow statements to the container configuration.  An example error is:
> Starting udev: /bin/mknod: `/dev/loop0': Operation not permitted
> /bin/chown: cannot access `/dev/loop0': No such file or directory

Hum, the fedora script is not very tested. I have to change it to have a
template configuration like:

http://lxc.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=lxc/lxc;a=commit;h=fb7460fe60699b637bbb97b404e752284e755519

> Anyway, instead of asking for detailed hand holding, I thought I'd send more comments on the manpages I've been reading.  I hope my format isn't to inconvenient.  Let me know if you'd simply prefer a patch to merge, or perhaps I should use git and arrange a way for you to pull my changes.

I prefer the patch format.

> But before getting ahead of myself, I've attached some comments, mainly on the lxc.conf manpage.  I hope you can follow my ad-hoc format.

Thank you very much ! I will take into account your remarks.
> The lxc.cgroup.<subsystem name> statements have a syntax and purpose known only to the kernel.  This allows new subsystems to be added in the future, however can the existing subsystems be documented in more detail?

Yes, considering the number of cgroup subsystems is increasing, that
makes sense to document the cgroups instead of letting the user to dig
all around the internet to find the relevant information.

> For exmaple:
> lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:3 rw
>
> I presume "devices" has two child nodes, "allow" and "deny".  Within the value of the "allow" statement, it looks like "c" for character device, then major:minor device number, followed by read and write.

Hmm, I understand, it is not easy to setup a cgroup without having more
information on it.
You will find more information for this cgroup at
http://lwn.net/Articles/273834/

> The lxf.conf generated by lxc-fedora has permission flags of "rwm", what does "m" indicate?  It would be useful if the manpage could be expanded or included references to other cgroup documentation.

Yes, I think it's a good idea. The lwn articles are a good source of
information to add to the documentation IMO.

Thanks
  -- Daniel