[lxc-devel] Memory Resources

Krzysztof Taraszka krzysztof.taraszka at gnuhosting.net
Wed Aug 26 23:25:58 UTC 2009

2009/8/26 Krzysztof Taraszka <krzysztof.taraszka at gnuhosting.net>

> 2009/8/26 Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano at free.fr>
>
>> KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

>>> I'll strongly Nack to this.
>>> plz find a way to ln -s /path_to_cgroup/memory.meminfo
>>> /mycontainer/meminfo
>>>

>> Yep, I agree with you, I don't like this approach.
>>
>> We are trying to solve the problem of the userspace tools which look at
>> the /proc/meminfo file to display memory informations. That looks weird to
>> set a max memory usage of 256MB via the cgroup and having the 'free' command
>> showing 4GB of total memory. More than looking weird, Dietmar explained that
>> can puzzle applications relying on these informations for taking some
>> decisions.
>>
>> If we consider having /cgroup/mycontainer/memory.meminfo with memory
>> information in the same format than /proc/meminfo, that solves partially the
>> problem:
>> - we run an application container, the application won't mount /proc so
>> the lxc tools do that for the application (at least to isolate the pids
>> information), it is easy to mount --bind /cgroup/mycontainer/memory.meminfo
>> to /proc/meminfo before the application takes the control, that is to say
>> before 'exec'. Tested and verified with the memory tools (free, top, etc
>> ...)
>>
>> - we run a system container, we can do this mount-bind but when the
>> application, aka /sbin/init, takes the control, the /proc is mounted by the
>> system services, so we lose the /proc/meminfo we previously set. Hence
>> meminfo in the cgroup directory does not solve the problem for this use
>> case.
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>>

> If I may... I have been thinking about that last few days and... I think
> that mounting /proc/meminfo can be done with mounted cgrop and secured by
> SMACK64.
> I will test it tonight and give you raport how does it works for me.

Okey.
I made few tests and this two ways work:

First way:
=======
lxc. smack enabled, policy loaded. cgroup not labeled.

a) start container
b) mount cgroup inside container
c) mount --bind /cgroup/foo/memory.meminfo /proc/meminfo
d) secure the /cgroup on the host (ie: attr -S -s SMACK64 -V host /cgroup).

this step can be done inside lxc tools ;)

Second way:
==========
lxc. smack enabled, policy loaded. cgroup not labeled.

a) do not label whole /cgrop directory (DO NOT DO: attr -S -s SMACK64 -V
host /cgroup). Label dedicate files only (for example: /cgroup/cpuset.cpus,
/cgroup/vs1/cpuset.cpus, etc). Do not label the /cgrop/vs1 directory. Label
with vs1 label only /cgroup/vs1/memory.meminfo. All other files label with
host label to do not allow read them.
b) start container
c) mount cgroup inside container
d) mount --bind /cgroup/foo/memory.meminfo /proc/meminfo

steps: b, c, d can be done inside lxc tools. step a can't and it is base on
the admin policy.

I think that the first solution is more automatic and can be done by lxc
tools (maybe command line switch? I can prepare a patch for that.

--
Krzysztof Taraszka