[lxc-devel] Memory Resources

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Sun Aug 23 20:05:23 UTC 2009

Krzysztof Taraszka wrote:

>>> Yes, I thought the same. This should allow the user-space tools based on
>>> /proc/meminfo (such as comand line "free") show limited information :)
>>>

>> Hmmm... does the memory.stat is a good start point for make new one object
>> memory.meminfo similar to /proc/meminfo? If so, I can play by my self with
>> lxc-tools code.
>>

> Hmmm... Daniel, I have got a question (that do I thinking in the right way).
> here is an output from /proc/meminfo from openvz:
>

> MemTotal:             262144 kB
> MemFree:            232560 kB
> Buffers:             0 kB
> Cached:            0 kB
> SwapCached:        0 kB
> Active:            0 kB
> Inactive:            0 kB
> HighTotal:            0 kB
> HighFree:            0 kB
> LowTotal:             262144 kB
> LowFree:            232560 kB
> SwapTotal:        0 kB
> SwapFree:        0 kB
> Dirty:             0 kB
> Writeback:        0 kB
> AnonPages:        0 kB
> Mapped:            0 kB
> Slab:                0 kB
> SReclaimable:            0 kB
> SUnreclaim:              0 kB
> PageTables:              0 kB
> NFS_Unstable:           0 kB
> Bounce:                  0 kB
> WritebackTmp:            0 kB
> CommitLimit:             0 kB
> Committed_AS:            0 kB
> VmallocTotal:            0 kB
> VmallocUsed:             0 kB
> VmallocChunk:            0 kB
> HugePages_Total:    0
> HugePages_Free:    0
> HugePages_Rsvd:   0
> HugePages_Surp:    0
> Hugepagesize:         2048 kB
>
> most of values are 0.
>
> I have an question about SwapTotal and SwapFree for LXC.
> As I thinking that:
>
> MemTotal might be: hierarchical_memory_limit
> MemFree might be: hierarchical_memory_limit - cache

I am not a memory expert, but isn't MemFree : hierarchical_memory_limit
- rss ?
> the
>
> SwapTotal might be: hierarchical_memsw_limit
> SwapFree might be: hierarchical_memsw_limit - rss
>
> rss - # of bytes of anonymous and swap cache memory
> I don't know at all that hierarchical_memsw_limit is an good value for swap
> total, because as I read it is a mem+swap at all.
>
> Does the lxc memory.meminfo might look like above? Where can I get the
> Hugepagesize?

Right, I agree most of the interesting information to create a
memory.meminfo is already there in another file and another format.
Probably some informations in memory.stat can be moved to memory.meminfo
and this one can be step by step filled with cgroup memory statistic
informations. IMO, if the memory controller displays memory statistics
like a proc/meminfo file format, that will make consistency for these
informations and make trivial the isolation/virtualization with a simple
mount-bind.