[lxc-devel] Memory Resources

Krzysztof Taraszka krzysztof.taraszka at gnuhosting.net
Sun Aug 23 12:13:43 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am running lxc on my debian unstable sandbox and I have a few question
about memory managament inside linux containers based on lxc project.

I have got linux kernel 2.6.30.5 with enabled :

+Resource counter
++ Memory Resource Controller for Control Groups
 +++ Memory Resource Controller Swap Extension(EXPERIMENTAL)

lxc-checkconfig pass all checks.

I read about cgroups memory managament (Documentation/cgroups/memory.txt)
and I tried to pass those value to my debian sandbox.

And...
'free -m' and 'top/htop' still show all available memory inside container
(also If I set 32M for lxc.cgroup.memory.limit_in_bytes and
lxc.cgroup.memory.usage_in_bytes; and 64M for
lxc.cgroup.memory.memsw.usage_in_bytes and
lxc.cgroup.memory.memsw.limit_in_bytes free and top show all resources).

What I did wrong? Does the container always show all available memory
resources  without cgroup limitations?

--
Krzysztof Taraszka