[lxc-devel] live migrate and /dev/lxd

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 22 15:35:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 05:23:05PM +0200, Dietmar Maurer wrote:

> > > That may work, but sounds quite complex to me.
> >
> > All of migration is quite complex :)
>
> But what you try here is even harder, because you have to save/restore
> both sides of the connection. But you do not restore the server part
> with criu, so you need to inject the server state otherwise. I though
> this is impossible because of in kernel buffers ...
>
> At least this will be an interesting piece of code ;-)

One thing to keep in mind too as an easier alternative to this is that
all /dev/lxd clients must handle reconnections.

That's because lxd on the host may be respawned for a number of reason
and can't keep connections established across restart. In fact the
/dev/lxd/sock inode number will even change on LXD restart.

So while keeping connections open would be nice and would make messaging
during migrate nicer for the container, we have the much simpler
alternative of just killing the connection.