[lxc-devel] rc1 and 1.1 right around the corner

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 20 23:52:06 UTC 2015

Hello,

So first of all, a very quick update on systemd containers. As you
noticed, Serge and I have been busy trying to solve that for a little
while now.

 - Serge wrote lxcfs which is now in a working state and had its second
   release earlier today. lxcfs provides an unprivileged /sys/fs/cgroup
   tree which can be used by systemd.
 - In order to support lxcfs, support for lxc.include of directories was
   added and a new common.conf.d directory introduced so that lxcfs can
   ship a 00-lxcfs.conf file in there.
 - lxc.autodev was reworked to work in the same manner for both
   privileged and unprivileged containers.
 - lxc.autodev is now on by default for all containers. The
   auto-detection code has been removed and the documentation updated
   accordingly.
 - lxc.kmsg now defaults to 0.

With all of that combined, I've got a perfectly well working Ubuntu
15.04 container using our stock systemd without any change to any of the
units (so no change to our template whatsoever).

That's basically the point I wanted to reach for LXC 1.1 and once all of
those patches are merged, this will unblock the 1.1 release itself.

As a result, I'm currently planning on tagging LXC 1.1 rc1 tomorrow with
a tentative final LXC 1.1 release for Monday next week.

That means that anyone intending on shipping LXC 1.1 rather than
sticking to the long term supported 1.0 should really start testing git
master now and make sure to send us patches for any bug they notice
ASAP.

Thanks!