[lxc-devel] Putting man pages on website?

Rob Landley rlandley at parallels.com
Tue Feb 15 07:27:26 UTC 2011

On 02/14/2011 06:24 PM, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Sorry about the previous post.  I'm awake now.
>
> If I remove the .in from common_options.sgml.in and see_also.sgml.in,
> and change lxc-console.sgml.in's prelude to
>
>     <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
>     <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"
>             href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl"?>
>     <!DOCTYPE refentry PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN"
>             "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd" [
>
>     <!ENTITY commonoptions SYSTEM "common_options.sgml">
>     <!ENTITY seealso SYSTEM "see_also.sgml">
>     ]>
>
> Then I can generate a manpage:
>
>     $ xsltproc lxc-console.sgml.in

Cool!  That worked.  (docbook2html still doesn't, but xsltproc did.)
Except I'm trying to produce html output.  Hmmm...

xsltproc /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/docbook-xsl/html/docbook.xsl
  lxc-start.sgml.in > temp.html

Yay!  So I have to rename two files, edit each source file, and use a
build process with a very long ubuntu-specific absolute path.  Not
ideal, but it gives me something to post on the web page...

> Note that I had to bump the version number of to at least 4.0, because
> older versions are so old that they're not even hosted anymore.  It's
> probably advisable to migrate to the latest docbook4 DTD (4.5).
>
> With the same source files, I can generate XHTML 1.1:
>
>     $ xsltproc http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml-1_1/docbook.xsl lxc-console.sgml.in >lxc-console.xhtml

Ah, that's better.  (Note: the xhtml spec died, you probably want just
current/html/docbook.xsl instead of xhtml-1.1.)

> It might be possible to declare both stylesheets at once in the file
> itself, but I can't work out how.
>
> To get this to work, I installed xsltproc and docbook-xsl on a lucid
> system.  I *think* the latter isn't strictly necessary; it just allows
> xsltproc to translate the above URL to a local XSL stylesheet instead of
> downloading it each time.
>
> PS: the extension ought to be .xml, not .sgml, and I recommend you
> switch from Emacs' sgml-mode to nxml-mode, which is the default for .xml
> files in recent GNU Emacs releases.

I'd rather not get any emacs on me.

But this should be enough to put something on the website.  Thanks.

Rob