[lxc-devel] Just for giggles...

Suno Ano suno.ano at sunoano.org
Mon Feb 1 07:12:23 UTC 2010

 Mike> Hey all, Just for giggles, could we save the host PID of the
 Mike> container init process in a file in /var/lib/lxc/${VM} somewhere?

+1 from me, sounds like a very useful thing to do. Might it be so that
container A would want to know about that sort of thing from container B
or vice versa?

That could all go into the same file (at least that would be a start),
thus also allowing container A to check whether or not it is alone on
the host system or how many others there might be ... maybe even do
runtime adjustments on all containers with regards to bandwidth
throttling/negotiation, disk I/O negotiation, dynamic CPU shares
arrangements, etc.

Sounds like a crazy idea, I know that, but does anybody else have any
thoughts of giving containers "awareness" of its siblings and maybe
their needs and current states as well? Does it make sense at all?

Coming from an OpenVZ/Linux-VServer environment, all there was were
"static" settings i.e. once beancounter limits were set, they are set.
Maybe having the thought of "A needs relatively two/three/22.7/whatever
times the XY as does B" would be an entirely new concept altogether. XY
would be e.g. disk space, bandwidth, CPU, etc.

 Mike> problem and it's a start. I'd just like a convenient way to get
 Mike> at that information (or is there a better way?).

Not that I know of. If there is and it is as light an intrusion as
/var/lib/lxc/${VM}/path/to/PID_file would be, am for it too.