[lxc-devel] host consoles/ttys in containers

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Sat Nov 14 15:26:51 UTC 2009

Andrian Nord wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 03:00:05PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> I noticed that container's consoles aren't quite useable
>> (be it lxc-console or lxc-start with getty bound to /dev/console).
>>
>> The main problem is a complete lack of window resizing support:
>> when I resize an xterm window with lxc-start or lxc-console, the
>> "guest" does not know about that and continues to think that the
>> terminal is 80x25 still.
>
> lxc-console simply proxying what it goes from container's tty.
> Container's tty is, of course, in 80x25. I don't think that trying to
> run framebuffer inside container is a good idea, most probably it will
> fail. Use ssh =)

I already replied to this with a trivial patch.  In addition to
proxying chars in/out, it should also handle SIGWINCH and set
the pty size accordingly.

No framebuffer will work here, framebuffer is not a pty or tty.
But anything like a screen editor (vi/nano/etc), screen(1) (which
is actually quite useful) and anything as simple as that -- I see
no reason why to restrict this.

Thanks!

/mjt